The main benefits of the BondTest include
- A reliable manufacturing and in-service (where access permits) ultrasonic testing method that is rapid, collects, processes and, if needed, displays all of the ultrasonic data to a high defect detection (sensitivity) capability with a high SNR (see benefit 2 below).
- Accurate sizing and characterisation of critical defects with a target amplitude Signal to Noise Ratio of 12dB with a minimum of at least 6dB. All detected defects could be evaluated allowing an Engineering Critical Assessment (ECA) to predict the future potential failure likelihood.
- The ability to use FMC to produce an in-focus image at any point in the diagnostic area, thus increasing the image resolution, defect detection and sizing capability when compared to conventional PAUT.
- Where appropriate, the ability to apply ADR software to speed up the data interpretation process, standardise and ensure accuracy and repeatability of defect assessment according to the defect acceptance/rejection criteria.
- Increased confidence in the integrity of dissimilar metal diffusion joints because they can be properly tested.
- The ability to examine dissimilar metal/material diffusion bonded joints to demonstrate a high level of joint integrity will enable the joining process to find further applications of a demanding nature without the need to destructively test, on a statistical basis, a specified number of those manufactured. New applications for diffusion bonding in the existing aerospace market, and applications in new markets (e.g. process plant) are likely to follow.
- Access to a Reference Library of representative dissimilar metal diffusion bond defect images in order to aid consistency of defect evaluation as manual interpretation can prove to be inconsistent.